March 12 Announcement (4:30 PM)
Update on COVID-19 Plans
Lake Ridge Families,
As you may know, Governor DeWine announced an extended break for Ohio schools this afternoon, stating it will start on Monday, March 16, 2020 and lasting three weeks, extending through Friday, April 3, 2020. The leadership team and I met within an hour of his announcement, and we have agreed to the following plan for Lake Ridge Academy:
- Friday, March 13, 2020 will be a regular school day for all Lake Ridge Academy students and faculty.
- The school will NOT provide Extended Day coverage the week of Monday, March 16, 2020.
- On Monday, March 30, 2020 Lake Ridge will be closed for students. Faculty and staff will report for professional development, continuing their work on how to implement the best possible distance learning options.
- Starting Tuesday, March 31, 2020, and extending until at least Friday, April 3, 2020, Lake Ridge Academy will conduct classes via online and remote learning options.
- The virtual learning environment will be different for students of different ages, but in general we will use products and services the students are already familiar with:
- The Google suite of products, including Gmail, Google Docs, Google Slides, and Google Classroom;
- Plus Portals (6-12);
- In some cases, some classes in 6-12 may need to supplement these tools with specialized software or materials;
- Email will be our primary method of communicating during this time.
Also, as previously mentioned, anyone who travels to a country that is listed as a level 3 warning, restricting all non-essential travel, should self-quarantine for 14 days before returning to campus. In addition to China, Iran, and South Korea, the level 3 warning now includes all of Continental Europe.
I know this situation has caused anxiety and uncertainty for all of us. I have been incredibly impressed by the way our faculty have continued with meaningful teaching, and our students have continued to engage in active learning.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks for your continued support in a difficult environment.