March 12 Announcement (10:52 AM)
Update on Lake Ridge Academy's COVID-19 Planning and Preparedness
Lake Ridge Families,
The situation with the COVID-19 virus continues to evolve. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that this situation is very fluid and we are keeping close track of the current circumstances and advice from the Ohio Department of Health, the CDC, and the Lorain County Office of Emergency Management. I will update you whenever there are important updates for you to know about.
As you probably know, Governor DeWine has signed Executive Order 2020-01D declaring a State of Emergency, which opens various avenues to assist those responding to, treating, and containing the virus. Governor DeWine also issued a press release on March 10, 2020, that reiterated, in part, that at the present moment there is no recommendation in Ohio that K-12 Schools close.
We continue to closely monitor the current situation, and have taken the following additional precautions since the last time I wrote to you:
- We are postponing all out-of-state travel until further notice. Unfortunately, this decision means we will postpone or cancel the Upper School trip to Peru, the 8th grade trip to Quebec, and the "Teresa tour" visits with alumni in San Franciscos, Los Angeles, and Washington D.C. Local and in-state travel will be treated on a case-by-case basis. If you have a student who was scheduled to travel to Peru you should have already heard from Michelle Waltz, as she is working with our travel provider to understand options for rescheduling.
- We have canceled the Upper School Choral Concert originally scheduled for tonight, March 12, 2020. I met with Todd Christopher and Jennifer Shaw this morning, and they are confident we can reschedule every piece the students prepared for tonight at other events later in the year.
- In addition to regular cleaning, on March 9, we started a nightly process of cleaning and disinfecting all hard surfaces inside and out. We are paying particular attention to sinks, paper towel dispensers, and soap dispensers, as well as door knobs and handles. If you are at school after-hours, you may notice moist door knobs or handles; do not be alarmed, the liquid is sanitizer, which when properly applied is not wiped off. By the morning, when students are in school, the surfaces will be dry. In addition to this new nightly routine, we are in the process of purchasing an electrostatic sprayer, which allows the disinfectant to adhere to the surface longer and provides longer-lasting coverage. We decided to create our own system and purchase our own equipment rather than hire a company to come in and sanitize the school, so we can maintain regular and ongoing sanitizing.
- We have created a webpage which provides links to the Ohio Department of Health website that contains updates on COVID-19, the CDC website that has travel restrictions and other information for travelers regarding COVID-19, other resources, and a summary of my communications to our community. This website is available at www.lakeridgeacademy.org/covid-19, and if you want to you can bookmark it to make sure you always have the latest updates from Lake Ridge.
- Our teachers continue to prepare for the possibility of online instruction and learning as recommended by Governor Dewine and other experts. If the situation changes and we have to close, school will continue as an online community.
Especially given how quickly circumstances can change, I know that the situation with COVID-19 may be creating anxiety and uncertainty for you. We are taking the appropriate steps, as advised by the experts, to keep our community healthy and safe. If you have any questions, or you want to talk at any time, please let me know.