School Reopening

Hello Lake Ridge families,

It was good to 'see' a number of you yesterday during our "Mondays with Mitch" Zoom. I wanted to share a recap of some information I went over yesterday regarding reopening for those of you who weren't able to join us. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Last week Governor DeWine announced that Ohio is now recommending a 14-day self-quarantine for people returning from states with positivity rates over 15%. I wanted to let you know that Lake Ridge Academy is requiring all students and employees to follow Ohio's health and safety recommendations, including this self-quarantine recommendation. As of today, these states are: Arizona, Nevada, Florida, Idaho, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. Please consider this requirement when making your travel plans; if your student is subject to quarantine, he or she will be able to participate in school under "Royals From Home" until the required quarantine period is over.

I shared the results of the latest parent survey, including that about 82% of you were definitely or probably sending your students back in-person five days a week. The other 18% of you reported you probably or definitely were not ready to send your students back in person based on your own individual situation. Based on this data, and after working with the GoForward team and meeting with our faculty and staff, I introduced "Royals From Home" yesterday. "Royals From Home" is a virtual option for those families who, based on your individual circumstances, are not in a position to send your children back to school in person. Royals From Home will give students the opportunity to attend some classes synchronously and to stay connected with their peers, teachers and their classwork. In related news, I called a special "Mondays with Mitch" for August 3 at 4:00, during which our academic leaders will describe in more detail how Royals From Home will work in the different divisions. (Watch for an invitation.)

The complete GoForward Playbook will be released to everyone by August 10, and there will be a special (and probably longer) Mondays with Mitch at 6:00 pm on August 10 to go over the GoForward Playbook and answer questions. (Watch for an invitation - please note this meeting will be at 6:00 p.m.) Unfortunately, we have made the difficult decision not to compete in any interscholastic (i.e. with another school) competitions for any Fall 2020 sport. This decision was made, reluctantly, based on our belief that there was no way to compete with athletes from other schools and maintain our GoForward mitigation measures. Fall sports will continue with an emphasis on health & wellness, skill building, teamwork, and possibly intramural games. Our Athletic Director, Peter Eckendorf, is already working with our coaches on creative ways to renvision fall sports. We will revisit our plans for winter sports by October 15. Expect to hear more from Peter Eckendorf and/or your coaches.

For those of you unable to attend, or you want to read the information, the slides and meeting recordings for All Mondays with Mitch can be found on the InTouch section of our website.

Thank you for your support during this stressful and uncertain time. Lake Ridge Academy is very well positioned to reopen based on our intentionally small size, small classes, large campus, and dedicated teachers. I am excited to have students on campus again and I am confident we can reopen while following the guidance from Lorain County, the State of Ohio, the CDC, University Hospitals and the Cleveland Clinic. If you have questions or concerns please let me know, and I hope to see you on the next "Monday with Mitch!"

Best regards,

Mitch White
Head of School