About Lake Ridge Academy
Lake Ridge Academy is an independent, nonsectarian day school with coeducational classes from kindergarten through grade 12. The school was founded in 1963 as the only independent college preparatory school on Cleveland's west side and serves 410 students with an upper school (grades 9-12) enrollment of approximately 180.
Lake Ridge Academy is located on an 93 acre campus in North Ridgeville, a suburb 25 miles west of Cleveland and 8 miles south of Lake Erie. Students travel by bus or car from over 35 surrounding communities. All students are college bound; they represent diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds. This excellent location allows students to visit a major city such as Cleveland, Ohio enjoying the many cultural and recreational activities that the city has to offer. In addition, we have many colleges and universities in the area as well as top rated Cleveland Clinic Hospital.
Students and faculty at Lake Ridge Academy enjoy our 93 acre campus. The facilities also include a state of the art library and technology center, multi-media conference room, study rooms, project rooms, classrooms, three computer labs, TV/Video broadcast editing room, three art studios, a theater, four choral/instrument rooms, a gynmasium, a fitness room, athletic fields, eight science labs, one engineering classroom and workshop, student common areas, and student gardens.
Lake Ridge Academy offers its upper school students a rigorous college preparatory curriculum that includes sixteen Advanced Placement courses and over thirty honors level courses. Included in our honors courses are courses in Multivariable Calculus, College Discrete Mathematics, and Advanced College Literature. The school’s Institute for Scientific Research offers students the opportunity to engage in an ongoing, long-term scientific research experience beginning in the second semester of the sophomore year. The School for Fine Arts provides talented students with greater access to fine arts course work during their high school career. Finally, the Upper School’s globally focused curriculum provides students with a strong foundation in world history. Besides its freshmen World Cultures and sophomore Modern World History courses, Lake Ridge offers additional courses in global politics, world literature, and world art that broaden our students’ understanding of the various cultures of the world. Our annual Culture Fest celebrates our diverse community while raising money for worldwide humanitarian endeavors.
The dedicated and highly qualified faculty at Lake Ridge Academy provides personal attention in small class settings with many opportunities for hands-on experiences. The school employs more than 55 full-time faculty members with 65% of the faculty holding advanced degrees with a few holding Ph.D.’s.
Students attending Lake Ridge Academy are able to participate in extracurricular activities such as Academic Challenge, Cause for Paws, Club Med, Culture Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Green Society, Humanitarian Aid Society, Junior Engineering Technology and Science Club, Engineering Club, Junior Statesman of America, Knitting, Lego Robotics, Mock Trail, Model United Nations, National Honors Society, Rocketry, Sci-Fi Club, School Musical, School Newspaper, School Play, Student Senate, Thespian Society, and Yearbook.
Lake Ridge Academy offers its international students and families:
- A rigorous college preparatory academic program with the flexibility to modify the curriculum for first year international students.
- Additionial academic courses designed for international students to increase their English fluency and facilitate their transition into college prepartory curriculum.
- An International Coordinator and Advisor to oversee the international student's academic progress.
- A College Counselor experienced in placing international students in American Colleges.
- Internet access to a student's grades through Edline that keeps parents updated on academic progress.
- Tutoring services with a trained ESL teacher available during the school day.
- Preparation courses for the SAT, the college placement exam, for an additional charge.
- Extra-curricular offerings to integrate the international student into the school community.
- Each international student is assigned an American student to act as his/her mentor.
- Home-stay living accommodations that further acclimate the international student with American culture.
- Lake Ridge Academy will issue an I-20 for F-1 Visas to international students who have a strong command of English as a Second Language and who have demonstrated top academic performance in their home schools.
- International students can attend Lake Ridge Academy for a semester, one year, or multiple years through graduation, provided students meet all graduation requirements.
- 100% of our graduates are accepted into four year colleges in the United States.
- International students are required to have health insurance coverage and to provide a recent medical history with complete immunization record.
- International students must comply with all of Lake Ridge Academy's rules and regulations.
- Lake Ridge Academy will assume no liability for international students during their time in the United States.
For more information about our school, please download our school profile. School Profile
For international students contact the Lake Ridge Academy International Program Coordinator for application information. DO NOT APPLY ONLINE. There are additional requirements for admission.